As I previously mentioned, I have the living room painted (save for a bit of touch-up work. Here are the before and after pictures.
Another before photo
Another “in progress” picture
I’m quite happy with the new paint job. It brightens up the room quite a lot and is so much more “us”. I’ll have to get a daylight photo sometime. I painted the archway between the living room and dining room blue as well. Hubby thought it looked better white. I think it looks better blue. I’m still finishing up the painting in the “hallway” – I just have one more coat around a few edges and then we can put the trim back up. I still have some touch-up work to do in the living room and dining room and the window frames need a new coat of paint. The stairwell heading upstairs is still sage green and I’m going to paint it blue. The stairs are currently painted a brownish-maroon. I think I will paint the horizontal parts blue and the backs of the stairs white. At some point we plan to put a carpet runner on the stairs for some cushion.
Last week’s project was painting the living room and dining room. As you may have seen in other posts, the living room and dining room were all a dreary sage green and the living room had brown curtains. Drab and dull and not my speed. I wanted to brighten up the place and ultimately ended up decided to paint three walls in each room white (Glidden White on White) and the fourth wall Caribbean Blue (another Glidden color). I wanted a bright color but the area just seemed too small to paint all the walls the bright blue and I didn’t want the entire room white. The area is much brighter now and I love the color choices! I still have a bit of touch-up work to do, the “hallway” downstairs needs another coat and some trim work, and the upstairs stairwell needs to be painted. The window trim in both rooms needs re-painting as well.
Other plans for the living room and dining room include getting new curtains (that aren’t brown), a new (at least to us) couch, and possibly other new furniture pieces if I find something that catches my eye.
I have yet to have a sunny day where I’ve had a chance to take a good pictures of the new look so for now you’ll have to use your imagination. We’ve had an exceptionally rainy/wet spring here and we seem to average about one sunny and warm day followed by five rainy, cloudy, cold days. Once I have a sunny day and five minutes, I’ll take a few pictures and get them posted for you to see.
When we moved in our cleaners, garbage bags, and similar items just got stuck in a tote and shoved under the kitchen sink to get them out of the way. The other night I decided to organize things so we didn’t have to dig for whatever cleaner we needed. The base of the cabinet was lined with an old dirty piece of linoleum.
The before picture.
I removed the linoleum. Underneath it didn’t look a lot better.
Under the sink, with the linoleum removed
I cleaned up the floor of the cabinet. Then I placed peel-and-stick tiles in the cabinet so there would be a clean, smooth surface in there that would be easy to clean up. Our kitchen floor has two layers of peel-and-stick tile and the extras from both layers were left here by the previous owners. I used some in the bathroom vanity in a project very similar to this one.
Fresh, clean tile
Then I started putting everything back in the cabinet. It always takes me a few tries to get things arranged the way I like them. I’m not one of those people who figures out the arrangement in my head and then places everything. I have to actually put the stuff in the cupboard and see it there and then I can modify as needed.
I used our dish drainer to hold come of the cleaners and the roll of garbage bags is in the silverware holder in the dish drainer. We have a dishwasher at this house (yay!) so we won’t be using the dish rack but I didn’t want to get rid of it. The cleaners and items we use most frequently are at the front of the cabinet. Refill containers and empty containers to use for soapy water are at the back of the cabinet.
Close-up of the dish drainer
The little clear organize to the left is actually an organizer that is designed to stick to the fridge. It doesn’t really work on our fridge here because of its location but it works well for holding sponges, gloves, and similar items.
I also considered using a tension rod to hang the bottles of cleaners on but I didn’t know where one was and I didn’t want to dig through boxes for it so I skipped using it. I can always go back and put one or two in later if I don’t like how this is working.